Caterham SchoolEstablished: 1811
Caterham School was founded as the Congregational School in 1811 in Lewisham, by the Reverend John Townsend to provide a boarding education for the sons of Congregational Ministers. The abolitionist politician and philanthropist William Wilberforce was a Governor of the School from its foundation until his death in 1833.
By 1884, the School had outgrown its premises, and the 114 boys with their teaching staff moved to the present site in the North Downs in Surrey. In 1890, Caterham opened its doors to the sons of laymen and to day boys. In 1995, after 184 years as a boys' day and boarding school, it merged with Eothen School for girls (founded by the Misses Pye in 1892) to become a coeducational school. Girls had been admitted to the Sixth Form education since 1981, but the merger integrated the schools and enabled co-education to be offered to pupils aged 3 years and upward.
2 yr GCSE,A Level