Leeds Beckett University
Leeds LS1 3HE, UK
About the University
Based in the vibrant city of Leeds, the biggest financial district outside of London, our vision is to be acknowledged for our commitment to student success, innovation and enterprise, global reach, and strong local impact. Our aspiration is to help create great graduates, exceptional employees, dynamic citizens and enterprising leaders and we work closely with employers and partners to ensure that our graduates are ready for work, ready for life, and ready to seize the opportunities that lie ahead.
Spread over two main campuses, the busy city centre and leafy Headingley, the university has an extremely diverse range of courses. Standards and facilities are high, yet entry requirements are not as tough as, for example its near neighbour Leeds.
Leeds is a city that feels very young, the two universities and other colleges provide a wealth of customers for clubs, pubs and cafes that give the place a European feel. Luckily living costs are pretty cheap, so you will be able to afford to see a little bit of life while you study.
On our Headingley Campus, The Grange was originally a monastic farm that belonged to Kirkstall Abbey. New Grange was rebuilt in 1626 by Benjamin Wade. The present building is essentially that designed by Palladian architect James Paine for Walter Wade in 1752. In the nineteenth-century the Beckett family renamed the estate Kirkstall Grange and remodelled parts of the Mansion.
The Leeds Mechanics Institute was founded in 1824, located in two rooms, a library and classroom, in premises on Park Row. In 1841 the Institute moved to South Parade.
Leeds College of Art moved from its Vernon Street site to Woodhouse Lane to form part of Leeds Central Colleges (the forerunner of Leeds Polytechnic) in 1969. Its origins lie in the Leeds Government School of Design established in 1846, part of the Leeds Mechanics’ Institute and Literary Society. Subsequently, the School of Design became Leeds School of Art in 1856. In 1927 the school was granted college status and became Leeds College of Art.
The Leeds School of Science was formed as part of the Leeds Mechanics’ Institute and Literary Society in 1868. However, the Sciences, particularly Chemistry, had been taught at the Institute since the very beginning, the first classes taking place in 1825. The School was renamed Leeds Technical School in 1896 and Leeds Technical College in 1927. Finally becoming Leeds College of Technology in 1937. The college was the first to move to the new Central Colleges site (later Leeds Polytechnic) in 1956.
The Leeds Mechanics Institute amalgamated with the Leeds Literary Society in 1842. New premises were opened on Cookridge Street in 1868, in a building designed by architect Cuthbert Brodrick. The new building allowed for the expansion of the Institute Library, Leeds School of Art and Leeds School of Science.
The Yorkshire School of Cookery in Leeds was formed in 1874 by the Ladies’ Honourary Council of the Yorkshire Board of Education. Later names were Yorkshire Training School of Cookery (1877-1884) and Yorkshire Training School of Cookery and Domestic Economy (1884-1920). In 1920 the School gained college status and became the Yorkshire Training College of Housecraft, a name it retained until 1965. Between then and 1970 it was known as the Yorkshire College of Education and Home Economics.
In 1897 members of the Institute adopted a new name, The Leeds Institute of Science, Art and Literature, to better reflect its educational activities. A Library and Reading Room, Leeds School of Art, Leeds Technical College, Leeds Boys’ Modern School and Leeds Girls’ Modern School. The next year the Leeds School of Music and Commercial Evening School departments were established.
There is evidence of commercial education prior to 1898. However, that year marked the incorporation of Commercial Evening Classes into the Leeds Institute of Science, Art and Literature. In the first quarter of the twentieth-century, commercial education courses were gradually grouped into the Leeds Central School of Commerce. In 1924 Day Courses were established, and in 1926 the school was granted college status and became the Leeds College of Commerce.
The transfer of the, privately funded, schools of the Leeds Institute of Science, Art and Literature to Leeds Corporation began in 1906. This was in the wake of the 1902 Education Act which created the Leeds Education Authority taking over and expanding the role of the former School Board.
The City of Leeds Training College was formed in 1907 in temporary accommodation throughout the city. A permanent college was established in the grounds of Kirkstall Grange sold to Leeds Education Authority by Lord Grimthorpe. The new college buildings were opened on 13 June 1913 by the President of the Board of Education, J. A. Pearce M.P.
The Carnegie College of Physical Training was opened in 1933 alongside the City of Leeds Training College. Its first warden was Ernest Major who created the foundation for its reputation for excellence in sports teaching. In 1947 it was renamed Carnegie College of Physical Education, dropping ‘Training’ for the more academically focussed ‘Education’.
The Leeds Colleges of Art, Commerce, Technology and the Yorkshire College of Education and Home Economics were gradually brought together on a site just north of the Civic Hall. The first College on site was Leeds College of Technology with Mechanical Engineering and Building opened by Clement Atlee in 1956. Over the next decade the rest of Technology, most of Commerce, Housecraft and Art were accommodated on site.
In 1964 the City of Leeds Training College changed its name to the City of Leeds College of Education in response to the Robbins Report (1963). Its neighbour at Beckett Park was the Carnegie College of Physical Education. There was much overlap in the administration and physical spaces shared by the Colleges, and in 1968 they formally merged to create the City of Leeds and Carnegie College.
In 1966 the White Paper “A Plan for Polytechnics and Other Colleges” began the process of Polytechnic creation, with Leeds at a great advantage having worked on the concept of a central college for around 40 years. Much of the administrative and campus infrastructure had already been established by the Leeds Central Colleges. In 1970 Leeds Polytechnic came into being, its first Director was Patrick Nuttgens.
The City of Leeds and Carnegie College and the James Graham College (the former Leeds Day Training College created in 1959) joined Leeds Polytechnic in 1976.
School Type: Public
Times Ranking: 800
Guardian Ranking: 118
Independent Ranking: 0
Tuition Fee: $ $ $
No. of students: 20000+
Acceptance Rate: N/A
Ave High School GPA: N/A
Student / faculty ratio: 22:1
Degrees offered: Bachelor's degree,Master's degree,Doctorate
Tourism & Hospitality
Leeds LS1 3HE, UK
Location: City centre
Nearest Airport: Leeds Bradford International